Which is best shampoo for dreads?
Finding the best shampoo for dreads is difficult since you have to find one that works for you.
You would also know that you have to regularly wash your dreads and apply the right shampoo on your hair if you wish to get good results. But not all shampoos are safe to use for dreadlocks.
Now, if you are looking for a collection of the best shampoo for dreads and dandruff, you are in the right place. Read on to discover these remarkable products for your dreads.
- 1. SheaMoisture African Water Mint Detox & Refresh Shampoo
- 2. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- 3. Knotty Boy Dreadlock Shampoo Bar
- 4. Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo
- 5. Dread Head HQ Dread Dreadlock Soap
- 6. Knatty Dread Dreadlocks Shampoo
- 7. Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
- 8. Aveeno Scalp Soothing Apple Cider Vinegar Blend Shampoo
- 9. PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Biotin Shampoo
- 10. Dr Bronner’s – Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
1. SheaMoisture African Water Mint Detox & Refresh Shampoo
This mint-scented unisex shampoo is free of parabens, sulphates and mineral oils and is definitely one of the best shampoo for dreads.
It helps by detoxifying and maintaining the conditions of the scalp. In this shampoo, the certified Shea Butter combines with the activated Charcoal, African Water Mint and other ingredients to create an excellent rejuvenating formula that is known to remove different kinds of impurities and product build-up.
- It is composed of fair trade of Shea butter.
- To be applied to wet hair worked into a rich lather, and rinsed with warm water.
- For best results follow with the refreshing hair, detox and scalp conditioner.
- May dry the scalp excessively
Also Read: The 10 Best Shea Moisture Shampoo
2. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
The pure tea tree oil shampoo is the unisex gel of dread shampoo for dandruff, coloured hair, oily hair, dry hair and normal hair.
The natural essential Tea Tree oil in this shampoo works wonders for dry and flaky scalps and at the same time doubles as an antifungal and antibacterial agent which makes it a best shampoo for dreads and dandruff.
If you are suffering from the problem of thinning hair, you would definitely want to go for this shampoo!
- Tea tree-scented.
- Helps in the therapy of hair growth.
- Cleans the hair follies and hydrates the scalp locks.
- Natural eradication of lice.
- May cause tangled hair
3. Knotty Boy Dreadlock Shampoo Bar
The Knotty boy shampoo is a peppermint-scented shampoo bar for dreads and is undoubtedly one of the best dreadlock shampoo bar.
What you would love about this product is that it is absolutely free of residues and conditioners. This helps to keep the locking process unhindered.
Moreover, it is absolutely non-toxic and probably the world’s first shampoo meant just for the dreadlocks!
- No hindrance of the locking process due to no conditioners.
- Peppermint and tea tree formula for a soothing scalp.
- Can be greasy to some hair
4. Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo
This tingle shampoo is rich in minerals and vitamins. The delightful natural moisturizing duo of Manuka Honey and Moringa Seed Oil can work wonders in maintaining your dreadlocks and this might as well be the best shampoo for dreads for you.
This shampoo also contains menthol extracts that relieve and soothe any kind of itching on your scalp and make it healthier. What’s more? The natural extracts in this shampoo helps in preventing breakage and repairing hair that is already damaged.
- A natural moisturizer full of Moringa seed and antioxidants.
- Uses menthol extracts to relieve itching and stimulate the scalp.
- Clarifying shampoo for locks to make them strong and long.
- May cause dry scalp and hair
Also Read: The 10 Best pH Balance Shampoo
5. Dread Head HQ Dread Dreadlock Soap
This is a residue free shampoo as It does not leave behind any residue after cleaning the hair. As a result your dreading process doesn’t slow down a bit!
It is devoid of any oily kind of perfumes or conditioners that can hamper your dreads or irritate your scalp.
In fact, it is also loved by dread-lovers because it can actually help tighten the dreads making them squeaky clean and helping them bind and knot.
- No irritation on sensitive skin.
- No conditioners that destroy dreads.
- Does not have oily perfumes.
- Complaints about leaving behind dry hair
6. Knatty Dread Dreadlocks Shampoo
It uses a renewable formula based on coconut, making it one of the very best shampoos for dreads.
This shampoo, like other dread-friendly shampoos, is also unscented and leaves behind no residues. It is in fact suitable for dreading all and every type of hair.
The coconut surfactants present in this cleansing shampoo is really effective to keep your dreadlocks healthy, leaving no unwanted coconutty smell in them.
- Minimises the time of drying after washing the hair.
- Best shampoo for dreadlocks for any type of hair.
- Unisex shampoo that does not leave a residue after applying it.
- Helps the growth of new locks.
- Known for tightening dreadlocks.
- Not an ideal use for the afro texture of hair.
- Leaves behind a layer of oil that may induce frizzing of the hair.
- It contains SLS.
7. Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
The product is reliable because it has been tested by dermatologists. The formula of the composition of this liquid does not include releasers of formaldehyde, parabens, lanolin, formaldehyde, masking fragrance, dye, chemical irritants, fragrance and other preservatives.
Its pH balance makes it suitable for all types of hair. If you are looking for a shampoo for dreadlocks that is good for regular use and is one of the best shampoos for dreads, this is the one you can go for.
- There are no active ingredients present in the formula.
- The product is not scented.
- It helps remove scaling and flaking.
- It also helps to control the oily scalp.
- It is known for eliminating build-up.
- The shampoo is not soapy due to some customers.
- The product may cause excessive drying of the hair.
8. Aveeno Scalp Soothing Apple Cider Vinegar Blend Shampoo
This product of hair care is a blend of wholesome ingredients in a perfect balance to help one soothe their scalps. It also helps to nourish the strands of hair from the root to the tips to ensure beautiful dreads.
If you are one who loves a healthy scalp, you should know that this Blend Shampoo is known for soothing properties that work on the scalp, face as well as body.
The finest ingredient in this composition is oat. It adds volume to dull hair, adds high shine and clarifies the scalp.
- They are inspired by fresh farm – from oils, mists, leave-in milk, hair masks to conditioners and shampoos.
- Mixed with apple cider vinegar, this is the best dry shampoo for dreads.
- It reinforces and shines from the tips to the roots of the hair.
- The formula is free of parabens, dyes and sulphates.
- It is safe to use for dyed hair and all types of hair.
- It is not suitable for all types of skin.
- It may not work well with hard water.
9. PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Biotin Shampoo
This Biotin shampoo is one of the best shampoos for dreads and can offer absolute assurance for satisfaction.
It uses gentle ingredients and the formula of this product is packed with a strong blend of black cumin seed and pumpkin seed oil, nettle extracts and biotin. If you are one for healthier and fuller hair, this is perfect for you.
Say goodbye to bad hair days due to thinning hair and irritated scalps. In this product, the exclusive formula of essential oils helps enhance hair manageability, reduces brittle strands and dryness and hydrates the scalp.
- They always use cruelty-free and vegan manufacturing methods.
- The DHT herbal blend formula is both gold standard and original.
- The ingredients help to protect hair from future damage by outside factors which often lead to the thinning of hair.
- It improves the overall health of the hair, thickens the hair, cleanses the scalp and strengthens the shaft of the hair.
- It is a bit overpriced.
10. Dr Bronner’s – Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
Not only is it good for your skin but it is also great for the environment. In fact, this shampoo is made only of certified as well as fair-trade ingredients.
Also, what most people love about this shampoo is that it is made of more than 90% organic ingredients that is why it is the best dreadlock shampoo bar.
This multi-purpose product can be used for washing pets, hand-washing dishes, mopping and laundry.
- It does not use any foaming agents, thickeners or synthetic preservatives.
- The liquid soaps are made of ingredients extracted from plants.
- They use vegan, natural, organic and biodegradable constituents to ensure that it does not harm the environment.
- The prices are affordable.
- The smell is good but it often leads to unnecessary drying.
Recommended Picks for You:
Although all of these products are effective and beneficial for your dreads, our personal favourite is the Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo.
Go through the rest though and pick your own favourite shampoo for your dreads.
Share This on Pinterest: