Dandruff is a nightmare for most of us. Those tiny white particles on our hair make our hair look unattractive, along with causing several issues like flakes, dry scalp, itchiness, etc.
Well, luckily for you, here we have listed the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair to avoid all these issues and provide healthy hair.
After doing thorough research on all the available shampoos in the market, we picked the 10 best ones based on their effect, ingredients, long-lasting results, ability to fight dandruff, and so on.
These are specially meant for African American hair which is rough-textured and challenging to manage.
Without further ado, let’s check them out one-by-one…
To find all of your preferred beauty products, check our carefully selected list of premium beauty products include the latest in skin care, fragrances, nails, hair products, makeup, and much more.
- Best Dandruff Shampoo For African American Hair
- 1. Best Shampoo for Itchy Scalp and Dandruff: Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- 2. Best Medicated Anti-dandruff Shampoo: First Botany Cosmeceuticals Therapeutic Tree Oil Scalp Shampoo
- 3. Best Natural Dandruff Shampoo: ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo
- 4. Best Shampoo for Dandruff & Hair fall: Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo
- 5. Best Shampoo for Severe Dandruff: Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
- 6. Best Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Men: Suave Men 2 in 1 Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- 7. Best Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Colored Hair- Honeydew Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
- 8. Best Shampoo for Dreads & Dandruff- The Roots Naturelle Virgin Hair Fertilizer Shampoo
- 9. Best sulfate-free anti-dandruff shampoo- Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo
- 10. Best Shampoo Bar for Dandruff- Ethique Dandruff Shampoo Bar
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Dandruff Shampoo For African American Hair
1. Best Shampoo for Itchy Scalp and Dandruff: Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- Cleansing Tea Tree Shampoo Scalp Exfoliator and Dry Scalp Shampoo for Scalp Care
Tea tree is a powerful ingredient that has immense potential to transform your hair and skin. And as for dandruff. For those having an itchy scalp, this tea tree shampoo from Maple Holistics is our best recommendation.
Its primary ingredients are Botanical Keratin, Tea Tree Oil, Rosemary & Lavender, making it the perfect mild shampoo for dandruff. You can also use this as an anti-dandruff shampoo for dry scalp.
Tea can do magic in curing the itchiness and flakiness of your scalp and thus make your African hair more manageable than ever before. This is also why this shampoo is voted as the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair.
- Contains natural oils
- Provides soothing effect
- Helps to fight hair loss
- Clarifies the scalp
- Tea tree also provides moisturization
- Very strong smell
- May cause reactions in people who are allergic to tea tree
Also Read: The 10 Best Shampoo For Straightened Hair
2. Best Medicated Anti-dandruff Shampoo: First Botany Cosmeceuticals Therapeutic Tree Oil Scalp Shampoo
First Botany Cosmeceuticals Therapeutic Tree Oil Scalp Shampoo
- An Anti Hair Loss Shampoo and Conditioner with 14 DHT blockers to fight Hair Loss For Men and Women
One of the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoos in the market. It has therapeutic and healing powers that will instantly transform your hair form and scalp from dry and flaky to nourished and glowing. This product comes as a shampoo and conditioner set and is one of the top products of First Botany.
Considered to be the best herbal shampoo for dandruff, this herbal anti-dandruff shampoo is enhanced with keratin and collagen and is also entirely free from any harsh chemicals. Since the shampoo is best suited for curly hair, you can be assured that it will work like magic on your gorgeous African curls.
- Contains Biotin that strengthens hair
- Includes Argan oil, B vitamin complex, turmeric, Sativa oil, and Ginger Oil
- Provides therapeutic effect on the hair
- Free from parabens and sulfates
- Bad and strong smell
- Does not help with hair loss
3. Best Natural Dandruff Shampoo: ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo
ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo
- To strengthen, hydrate and help promote revitalization of dry, damaged, color-treated hair.
People are certainly moving away from shampoos that are full of chemicals and are instead embracing organic shampoo for dandruff, hair loss, and other hair-related issues.
If you, too, have been taking the step to a natural and organic shampoo, we recommend you to try out the ArtNaturals castor oil shampoo.
From giving the best natural dandruff treatment to helping you strengthen, grow and restore your damaged strands, this amazing shampoo that helps with dandruff is definitely a must-try for everyone.
Use it along with the conditioner, and you are sure to see some amazing results. We ask everyone to check out this amazing and best dandruff shampoo for African American hair.
- Suitable for oily, dry, and normal hair
- Moisturizes hair
- Makes hair smooth
- Perfect for curly hair
- Causes tingling on the scalp
4. Best Shampoo for Dandruff & Hair fall: Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo
Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo
- Sulfate Free Extra Strength Formula Removes Flakes Scales & Itchy Scalp
Are you searching for the best shampoo for dandruff and hair fall? We’re sure this shampoo from Biotin will not disappoint you.
Along with removing flakes from your scalp and making it basically itch-free, the shampoo also has a strengthening formula that helps you grow your hair.
We would totally love for you to check out this best anti-dandruff and anti-hair fall shampoo, which is suitable for all hair types, including color-treated hair.
The primary ingredient in this shampoo is Zinc Pyrithione, which helps keep your scalp clean and fresh and gets rid of dry and dull hair. All of these reasons make this one the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair.
- All-natural ingredients
- Strengthening formula
- Cleanses and clarifies
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- Less concentration Zinc
- Lathering formula may make hair brittle
5. Best Shampoo for Severe Dandruff: Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
- Specially formulated to control the itching and flaking of serious dandruff
If you’re looking for the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair to treat your dandruff, then check out this severe dandruff shampoo from Selsun Blue.
The primary ingredient of this shampoo is selenium sulfide, which is best for dandruff control. It can be a little harsh, but it is a super effective treatment for your dandruff.
It has a cool menthol sensation that is soothing for your scalp and provides nourishment. Suitable for dry and brittle hair, this is one of the best hair shampoos for dandruff, and we would totally recommend it.
From helping you fight flakes to getting rid of itchiness on the scalp, this shampoo is a must-buy, or we can say it’s the best dandruff shampoo for black hair.
- Strengthens hair
- Contain selenium sulfide
- Powerful to treat dandruff
- Prevents seborrheic dermatitis
- Makes hair softer
- Too much concentration of color
- Menthol may cause headaches in some people
6. Best Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Men: Suave Men 2 in 1 Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Suave Men 2 in 1 Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- Light-weight formula lathers and rinses clean without leaving build-up or weighing hair down
This 2-in-1 combination of shampoo and conditioner helps you to effectively fight your dandruff issues. Many users have voted this set as the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair, and we do swear by this.
The shampoo has a balanced pH formula, which makes it so effective and thereby the best dandruff treatment. The product is not just an effective dandruff shampoo but also completely eliminates your flakes 100%.
Specially designed for men’s hair and texture, you will surely fall in love with this product.
- Made with Pyrithione zinc
- Clarifying formula that deeply cleanses your hair
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Best products for dandruff
- Intense moisture
- Best anti-dandruff shampoo
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner
- Not suitable for extremely dry scalp
7. Best Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Colored Hair- Honeydew Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
We realize how difficult it can be to find products for your color-treated hair since they require extra protection and care. And when you have dandruff on top of it, it will become an even more complex issue.
But fear not because we bring you the best drugstore dandruff shampoo from Honeydew. Not only is it a great dandruff shampoo for color-treated hair, but it is also enriched with ingredients like tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and Argan oil which make its treatment super effective and is best dandruff shampoo for African American hair.
It is also a dermatologist recommended dandruff shampoo; hence you can be quite assured of its safe usage. All the oils together provide a super-strong and guilt-free hair solution that makes you say goodbye to dandruff and hello to gorgeous, healthy hair.
- Free from sulfates and parabens
- Hair growth formula
- It contains tea tree oil, Argan oil, and jojoba oil
- Vitamin E provides nourishment
- Causes allergy in people having eczema or psoriasis
- Slightly irritating on the scalp
8. Best Shampoo for Dreads & Dandruff- The Roots Naturelle Virgin Hair Fertilizer Shampoo
The Roots Naturelle Virgin Hair Fertilizer Shampoo
- Helps Reduce Breakage, Dry Scalp and Dandruff.
We’re sure that you’re probably searching for the best dandruff treatment at home. Well, we’ve got you covered. Check out the Virgin Hair Fertilizer shampoo; it is the best shampoo for dry scalp and dandruff and even helps prevent hair breakage.
Jojoba Seed Oil, Honey Extract, Aloe Vera are the primary ingredients, and they do a brilliant job of making your hair cleaner, softer, and stronger.
The best for dry scalp, this shampoo is best suited for damaged and dry hair. If you have undergone several hair treatments in the past and want a great product for your over-processed hair, then this is the one for you.
- Best dandruff shampoo for African American hair
- Makes your hair more manageable
- Reduces dry scalp
- Fights itchiness and flakes
- Strips off your hair
- Makes hair brittle after wash
9. Best sulfate-free anti-dandruff shampoo- Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo
Yes, we get it. You’re tired of using all those chemical-laden products on your hair which has only made its condition worse. Sulfates and parabens should be a big no in your hair and skin care regimen.
For fighting dandruff, we, therefore, recommend this sulfate-free dandruff shampoo. It has a very mild anti-dandruff shampoo formula.
With many people simply going for aesthetics of hair care products and not looking for the actual ingredients, you must choose a good anti-dandruff shampoo without sulfate and parabens.
This shampoo contains safe ingredients like rosemary, olive, and jojoba oils that remove dandruff effectively and moisturize your scalp very well. Hence this is one of the best dandruff removal shampoo.
- Simple and safe ingredients
- No sulfates or parabens
- Moisturizes and soothes your scalp
- Best anti-dandruff shampoo
- Can make your hair feel heavy
- Leaves oily residue
10. Best Shampoo Bar for Dandruff- Ethique Dandruff Shampoo Bar
Ethique Dandruff Shampoo Bar
- Heali Kiwi is specifically for those who suffer from scalp problem
Looking for a luxurious shampoo that you’ve always wanted and also contains anti-dandruff properties?
Well, that’s exactly what this Ethique Dandruff shampoo bar is. It is the best lush shampoo bar for dandruff, which effectively fights several hair issues like dandruff, dry scalp, thin and brittle hair, etc.
This anti-dandruff bar shampoo is a sustainable shampoo bar with biodegradable ingredients that are safe on your hair and the environment.
Hence, we recommend this as the best anti-dandruff shampoo bar. The shampoo is completely free from soap and can be used on color-treated hair as well.
- Fights dandruff
- Combats many scalp issues
- 100% soap-free
- Dandruff shampoo for African American hair
- Safe on environment
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- Contains hair stripping ingredients
- Strips your hair color
Frequently Asked Questions
- What shampoo is good for dandruff for African American hair?
There are several best dandruff shampoo for African American hair. What may be the best for one may not necessarily be the best for the other. Hence, before choosing a shampoo, you need to know your hair type and hair needs and then only decide. This will make sure that the product you buy is suitable for your specific hair needs itself.
- How do you treat dandruff in African American hair?
For African American hair, you should go for anti-dandruff shampoos that also provide a moisturizing effect on your locks. Since your hair is likely to be much more curly, thick, and textured than usual, moisturization and hydration are of prime importance.
- Does head and shoulders work on African American hair?
Yes, it does, and so do the several other shampoos that we have mentioned in this list. When choosing a shampoo, look for all ingredients carefully, avoid chemically laded products and go for the most natural one.
- What is good for the dry scalp for black hair?
Ingredients like jojoba oil and tea tree oil, Argan oil, etc., are a great solution to combat the dryness in your scalp, especially for black hair. These will hydrate your locks deeply and also remove itchiness, flakiness, etc.
You can choose the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair, depending on your hair type.
Based on our personal opinion, our top pick is the Biotin Hair Loss and Dandruff Shampoo; it not only removes dandruff from your hair but has a super strengthening formula that will definitely contribute to making your hair longer, stronger, and healthier.
Next, we’re in love with the Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo, which is completely free from sulfates and parabens. Hence, safe on your hair without having any adverse side effects.
You can also check out the First Botany Cosmeceuticals Therapeutic Tree Oil Scalp Shampoo. It is the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoo, hence provides excellent results.
Share this on Pinterest:
- How often should you Wash Relaxed Hair?
- 11 Best Clarifying Shampoo for Oily Hair
- 10 Best Shampoo for Tape Extensions
- 8 Best Paul Mitchell Shampoo
- 10 Best Clarifying Shampoo for Relaxed Hair